How to write a great blog post for trades....

Finally a blog about blogging for trades


Have you heard lots about how you should have a 'blog' but not sure what it's all about or even what you should be 'blogging' about, perhaps you think blogging is a waste of time or have one already but it's not doing anything for you!

Well I'm finally writing a blog post about blogging just for you. I've been blogging since 2008 when I started my Free Electrical Advice Blog, I had a rough idea about what I was doing then, however I only ever wrote 12 posts and then left it, However I've had well over 15000 views to that blog since 2008 and get it still gets around 9 views per day, over 260 views per month and I do nothing with it!

Let me say that again because it's important, I get all those views and I do nothing with it, I have not linked to it from anywhere but my website, I do not post on twitter or other social media or do any of the things I'm about to tell you about in the rest of this post! I think this just goes to show that the !
content you write in a blog stays around forever

If I were doing the right things, views to my old blog would go through the roof, so If you thought blogging was a waste of time I hope I've now changed your mind, who wouldn't want that sort of traffic looking at their blog and therefore business!


What will blogging do for me then!


Quite simply blogging shows you are the expert the professional electrician, decorator, architect or builder and it markets your business.
It drives traffic - potential customers to your website and because you've shown your expertise and maybe helped them already with the content you've written they will have a level of trust and so call you first!

I can guarantee one thing though if you don't do it someone else will and get your potential customers!



What blogs are not & should not be about


I've seen quite a few blogs done wrong, they are not just an advert for your business! so here's what you should not do;


  • Just write posts such as 'We can install your boiler from £600'
  • just post pictures of your work
  • Start a blog and not write anything at all!
  • Write posts that don't make sense, have someone read it first if you're not sure and preferably someone not in your profession to make sure they understand it.
  • Use Jargon


What can I blog about?


If you've thought that you have nothing to blog about, then think again, there are so many subjects you can write about to show your expertise in your trade, here is a list and I'm sure you can think of a few more

  • Products
  • Health and safety
  • Industry law
  • Industry news
  • A job as a case study
  • How you run your business
  • How to's
  • Customer has asked you a question
  • Keywords - use your keywords 
  • Other trades and how they fit in around each other.
  • Related products
  • Dodgy work you've found
Has this given you some ideas? I want to mention the How you run your business entry, in a little more depth though. Most people will just see the face of your business, you or your employees coming to do the work and that's it! you have a great chance here to show the depth of running a construction business things such as;
  • The costs
  • Tools you have to buy
  • organisations you belong or have to belong to such as Gas Safe, NIC EIC, FMB
  • How you quote work
  • Employing people
  • Blog about the employees/ team
  • Marketing
  • Accounting/ invoicing
  • The time involved outside of the job 
  • Training you go on to keep up to date
  • About why you got into your profession
Again this list could be much longer and I'm sure this gives you some ideas.

How to make blog content marketing work


If you follow the tips in this post, you'll be on a good heading with your blog, however there is a bit more to blogging than I've covered in this post but I didn't want to over do it, so I'll write another one soon.




To your blogging success

Paul Jennings





No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This