10 tips for growth

Is your business ready for growth


I hear many trades people say one of two things; I need more work or I'm too busy, you've said it and I know I've said it before, we run around like a headless chicken trying to get things done, spinning plates to keep people happy, get in from a job at 8:30pm that went wrong and took longer than it should have, then grab something to eat and sit down to do the paper work!
So It's the too busy bit I'm writing about today.

If you follow my top tips, blog posts and posts on social media and then implement them, this is a stage you'll get to and a lot of trades people when the are too busy then stop marketing completely, because why would they want more business! 

This is of course the wrong course to take as once that work runs out they are out of work for a while until the marketing kicks in again unfortunatley it's not like a tap! Once you get to the stage of being too busy it's the time to ramp up your marketing and start to really grow the business and it's best if you prepare for that.

Now before we go on I understand that it's not every ones goal to grow a business and they are happy staying on their own or with just one other person working for them, but it means you'll almost always be in that feast or famine state, my mindset when I was running my electrical business was to grow it so that I could eventually step away to do other things.

I did not see the point of running a business just on my own, with all the extra hassle of running  a business it would have been easier to just work for someone else.

What you need to plan


When you're building a house you don't do it without a plan and the same is with a construction business. So here is a list of things you need to consider when growing your business, to make sure you are ready and don't lose or have to turn down work!
A house or a business - you need a plan

  1. Have your goals for your business and yourself written down and review everyday.
  2. Have a plan written down on how to grow and steps to be taken.
  3. Write down all of your systems and procedures to run your business.
  4. What staff/ sub contractors will you need.
  5. Make a list of sub contractors you can call as soon as the business starts growing.
  6. Identify one of the sub contractors you can rely on the most to become your right hand man.
  7. Farm out the paperwork to a Virtual Assistant to free up more of your time.
  8. Use a call answering service so you don't miss out on work.
  9. Spend time each day on the growth of your business and have a marketing plan for that too.
  10. Take more time off - we work more efficiently once we've had a break or holiday - this is something I got wrong!

This isn't an exhaustive list but it's a start, having all this stuff planned in advance will help you grow your business to where you want to be and get the life you want.

I really hope this post has helped and has given you some food for thought.



To your success

Paul Jennings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This